I work in the Meshing & Geometry Abstraction group (Digital Simulation Solutions) @ SIEMENS PLM Software in Cincinnati, OH. The main area of my activity today spans finite element mesh generation techniques like surface and solid mesh generation, geometry idealization for meshing, meshing on tessellated geometry, parametric meshing, tetrahedral meshing process engineering, hexahedral-to- tetrahedral interface development, transfinite meshing and sweep mesh generation etc.
A glimpse of my mesh generation work is listed below:
Other areas where I have worked in the past:
Title of Post Graduation Thesis:
VIBRATION ANALYSIS OF STIFFENED PLATES BY DYNAMIC ELEMENT METHOD
Title of Doctoral Thesis:
FINITE ELEMENT THERMOSTRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF ADVANCED COMPOSITE PLATES AND CYLINDERS
Since 1999, I work for the Meshing & Abstraction Group, at Siemens PLM Software (ex-SDRC) in Cincinnati, OH.
Worked as CAE Project Manager for Tata Consultancy Services at
Solutions, Cypress, California from 1996-1998. Was responsible for leading an 8-member team to identify and develop new CAE functionality for the product UG/SCENARIO. Joint development took place at Cypress and at the Tata Unigraphics Development Center in Secunderabad, India.
Software Research & Development Background:
Designed and developed a stability analysis function for mechanical cranes for Engineering Research Center, TELCO at Jamshedpur, India. (Fortran/VAX/VMS/1988)
Researched, designed and Developed a finite dynamic element analysis solver for vibration of ship panels for MHRD, at Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India.(Fortran/APOLLO/AGEIS/1991)
Researched, designed and developed a finite element analysis code for transient fully coupled thermostructural analysis of aerospace structures made with advanced multidirectional fiber reinforced composite materials.This was developed for Aerospace Research & Development Board at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India.(Fortran/CDC Cyber/NOSV/1992-1995).
Studied the requirements and designed a software system for automating the design of power plants based on the combined cycle (steam and gas turbine cycles) for GE Power Systems at Schenectady, New York, USA.(1995)
Lead a team of 7 engineers to research and develop advanced FEA tools for pre-processing and mesh checking around ANSYS and UG/GFEM to automate analysis functions for various GE divisions. The development work was carried out in the TCS-GE Off-shore Development Center at Bombay, India. (C,APDL,UFUNC/DEC,HP,SGI/Unix/1996).
Developed an interactive macro in Ansys Parametric Development Language (APDL) to create a finite element model of a wheel-dovetail joint for 13 rotor stages with gap elements,loads and restraints for GE Power Systems at TCS-GE Offshore Development Center at Bombay, India.(APDL/DEC/Unix/1996).
Research & development of Surface Mesh Generation algorithms in C++ for IDEAS/NX products (1999-present).
Engineering Analysis and Research Experience:
Executed the following finite element analysis projects as Project Leader
Static analysis of the revolving frame of a mechanical crawler crane for Engineering Research Center, Tata Engineering (TELCO) at Jamshedpur, India. (I-DEAS/1989)
Coupled Thermoelastic analysis of a spacecraft nozzle made out of Carbon Carbon Composite for AR&DB at IIT, Kharagpur,India. (Used self-developed analysis code TEA on Cyber/1993-1994)
Thermal stress analysis of an automobile engine valve for AR&DB at IIT, Kharagpur, India.(TEA/1994)
Creep/Impact/Frequency Response analyses of a switchgear assembly for design evaluation for GE Electrical Distribution & Control, Burlington, Iowa, USA.(UG,PATRAN/1995)
Random Vibration/Transient Dynamic analyses of a Launcher Antenna assembly of a surface-to-air missile launcher moving over rough terrain. This investigation was done for Defence Research & Development Lab at TCS,Secunderabad, India.The analysis results were validated by field tests(PATRAN/1995)
Centrifugal stress analysis of radial flow fans for material reduction for Andrew-Yule at TCS, Calcutta, India.(PATRAN/1995)
Centrifugal Stress/Frequency Response analyses of a supersonic gunshell for Ordnance Factory at TCS Calcutta, India.(UG/GFEM,ANSYS/1996).
Centrifugal stress analysis of a wheel-dovetail joint with gap/contact elements for GE Power System, Schenectady,New York, USA. (UG,ANSYS/1996)
Coupled Thermoelectric analysis of a circuit breaker for GE Electrical Distribution & Control, Plainville, Connecticut, USA.(ANSYS/1996)
Engineering Design Experience:
Designed a friction type mechanical crawler mounted crane for TELCO, Jamshedpur, India.As the main design engineer, I was involved in concept design, engineering design, fabrication design, finite element analysis, stability analysis, solid modeling and manufacturing drawing preparation, prototype development, testing and vendor development. CAD products used: SDRC/I-DEAS and Euclid (Matra DataVision). The product (TFC 280) is currently being exported to 23 countries worldwide. (1987-1990)
Tata Friction Crane 280
Designed a supersonic, high explosive, base bleeding gunshell for the Bofors gun. This design project was done for Ordnance Factory, Ambajhari, India from TCS, Calcutta (1996).
Programming Languages :
WIN7/WIN-XP/WINNT/WIN2000/LINUX64/SGI/APPOLO/AGEIS; CDC CYBER/NOS V; HP/HP-UX, DEC/ULTRIX, Digital Unix; RS6000 /AIX; SGI/ONYX
US20100226589/System, method, and computer program product for smoothing Sep, 2010.International Publication:
24. Automatic Hexahedral Sweep Mesh Generation of Open Volumes Proc. XXIth International Meshing Roundtable, Paris, San Jose, pp. 333-348, Springer, 2012.
23. CSALF-Q: A Bricolage Algorithm for Anisotropic Quad Mesh Generation Proc. XXth International Meshing Roundtable, Paris, France, pp. 489-510, Springer, 2011.
22. A Transfinite Meshing Approach for Body-In-White Analyses Proc. XIXth International Meshing Roundtable, Part 1, 49-65, Springer, 2010.
21. A Combined Subdivision and Advancing Loop-Front Surface Mesher (Triangular) for Automotive Structures, International Journal of Vehicle Structures & Systems, 2(1), 28-37, 2010.
20. Flattening 3D Triangulations For Quality Surface Mesh Generation, Proc. XVIIth International Meshing Roundtable, pp125-140, Springer, 2008.
19. A Mesh Morphing Technique for Geometrically Dissimilar Tessellated Surfaces, Proc. XVIth International Meshing Roundtable, pp315-334, Springer, 2007.
18. High Quality Transfinite Meshing With Interior Point Constraints, Proc.XVth International Meshing Roundtable, pp200-221, Univ.Birmingham, AL. USA. Sep, Springer, 2006.
17. A Hybrid, Variational 3D Smoother for Orphaned Shell Meshes, Proc. XIth International Meshing Roundtable, pp379-390, Cornell, Ithaca, NY. USA. Sep, 2002.
16. A Micromechanical Model to study Hygrothermal Shocks at the Fiber-Matrix Interface, J. Reinforced Plastics and Composites, vol. 21 no. 14, 1271-1283, 2002.
15. An Abstraction and Meshing Technique for Industry Problems,Proc. US National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Detroit, USA. June, 2001.
14. 3D Mapped Meshing : A Primary Glance, Oct 1998, Unigraphics Solutions Internal Doc 6632.
13. Thermoelastic and Creep Analysis of a Reinforced Plastic Interrupter shell assembly, J.Reinforced Plastics & Composites, 17(1), pp.51-70. 1998.
12. Thermostructural Analysis of Rotationally Symmetric Multidirectional Fibrous Composite Structures, Computers & Structures, 65(6), pp.809-817. 1997.
11. A Finite Element Free Vibration Analysis Analysis of a Thermally Stressed Spinning Plate, Computers & Structures, 59(2), pp.377-385. 1996.
10. Thermoelastic Excitation of Multidirectional Fibrous Composite Cylinders,J.Sound & Vibration, 192(4),pp.807-20. 1996.
9. Thermal Shocks in Composite Plates: A Coupled Thermoelastic Finite Element Analysis, Composite Structures, 34, pp 1-12. 1996.
8. Effects of Thermal Shock on Moisture Diffusion at the Fiber/Matrix Interface, Computational Structural Mechanics. Ed. P.K.Sinha, S. Parthan. Allied Publishers. New Delhi. 1994. Google Book Link
7. Three-Dimensional Thermo-Structural Analysis of Multidirectional Fibrous Composite Plates, Composite Structures, 28, pp.333-46. 1994.
6. 3D Thermostructural Response in Thick Laminated Composites: A Finite Element Approach, J.Reinforced Plastics & Composites, 13, pp.977-997. 1994.
5. Improved Free Vibration Analysis of Stiffened Plates by Dynamic Element Method, Computers & Structures, 52(2), pp.259-264. 1994.
4. A Comparative Finite Element Heat Conduction Analysis of Laminated Composite Plates, Computers & Structures, 52(3), pp.505-510. 1994.
3. 3D thermodiffusion in composites by finite element analysis, National Convention of Aerospace Engineers, March 1993 at IIT Kharagpur India.
2. A Finite Element Analysis of Thermostructural Bending Behavior of Composite Plates,J.Reinforced Plastics & Composites, 12(11), pp.1221-38. 1993.
1. A Finite Element Analysis of Inplane Thermostructural Behavior of Composite Plates;J.Reinforced Plastics & Composites, 12(10),pp.1026-42. 1993.
Served as Journal Reviewer for
International Meshing Roundtable Conference Proceedings
Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering
Engineering with Computers
International Journal of CAD/CAM
J. Indian Society of Theoritical & Applied Mechanics
PRESENT ORGANIZATION: SIEMENS